Sitting up on CV702.

I’ve spent the last three days terminating light circuits into the fittings along CV702. A little innovation I haven’t seen elsewhere is that they have installed isolator switches to each light post on site here. The idea being it will void having to isolate the circuit at the distribution board when a light requires maintenance.

Good thinking, sorta.

The not so great aspect of it is that the isolator is made of PVC and when we terminate the cable into the fitting, the cable gland has a resin heat shrink shroud around it which requires heat to shrink it into place. Out here we have to use a gas torch to provide this heat which equals a very hot jet that more often than not leaves burn marks on said fittings.

Not pretty at all.

Caval Ridge.

I finally got out of the class room and onto the tools today. After three days of being induced by Bechtel, Thiess and whoever else was lined up to have their way with us, me and all the other newbies got our chance to see the light of day and go and cut up some cable tray.

After a brief tour of the site with one of the supervisors (including repeated reminders not to operate any machinery or just plain fuck up) , we were turned loose on the water pumps near the thickener tanks onsite.

It’s all stainless and aluminum here.

This gig should only last till December, I reckon I’ll enjoy it.

Garage days.


This one left me stuffed. I only managed to get two rounds out with three seconds to go on the clock. I remember now my coaches saying that you can’t expect something that you haven’t put the effort into getting. This attempt left me realizing what they meant. Another learning moment for me.


One foot in front of the other as the saying goes.



The main components to the acid test, right there.

New job. More paperwork. More paperwork and more…paperwork.

Got the nod, courtesy of a mate, about an opportunity to get on board with the final stages of the construction phase of BMA’s Caval Ridge  coal project down in the Bowen basin the other week.
It’s been a busy couple of weeks going through all the medicals and inductions.
All of these were being completed down in Townsville as it’s the point of hire for this job for us northerners. All things went along okay except for the D and A test at the physical. It seems the pre workout supplements can show up in a test. Goddammit. Now I’ve gotta wait for a confirmation of a false positive, delays, delays.